Fire Control Engineers
Fire Control EngineersSTS
Website STS Technical Services
STS Technical Services is hiring Fire Control Engineers in Sterling Heights, Michigan.
STS Technical Services is actively seeking a Fire Control Engineer. This role is a key function within the project engineering team, with immediate focus on delivering the Next Generation Combat Vehicle/Optionally Manned Fighting Vehicle (NGCV/OMFV) program. Responsible for defining and developing ground combat based fire control algorithms that will ensure effective defeat of threats on the future battlefield.
Title and Position Level are commiserate with years of experience of candidate selected
- Coordinate and directly participate in concerted knowledge transfer efforts from other vehicle programs
- Develop or modify fire control algorithms including medium and large caliber auto-cannons, small caliber machine guns, and missile guidance systems
- Lead System Modeling definition with firm understanding of system boundaries, interfaces, behaviors, and states and modes
- Analyze and decompose System requirements to define key fire control performance characteristics and the underlying system errors
- Analyze performance data and optimize control loops to achieve performance targets
- Integrate and test products in a System Integration Lab, or Hardware-in-the-loop environment
- Verify results through multiple methods throughout the product development lifecycle
- Troubleshoot test incidents
- Engineering support for all US Lethality Engineering activities to include but not limited to
- Weapon performance & integration
- Ammunition handling
- Sight performance & integration
- Fire control system design
- Overall turret design & testing
- System certification & Safety release
- Body of evidence generation throughout the engineering development lifecycle
- Support the development of subsystem and component Statement of Work (SOW), Critical Item Development Specification (CIDS), Interface Control Document (ICD), and supplier Request of Proposal (RFP) artifacts
- Apply working knowledge of system lethality spanning weapon, ammunition, fire control, gun control, and sighting systems for both lethal and non-lethal effects
- Assist in development and execution of subsystem and system level qualification testing as applicable
- Contribute to system levels trade studies and analysis to determine a balanced system design
- Provide review/final approval of Technical Documents
- Manage relationships with all stakeholders to ensure performance is optimized and be able to manage the political dimensions associated with a high profile program
- Support and adhere to all company safety and environmental regulations & policies
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time. Travel to Europe will be required
- Undertake other duties as determined by the Engineering Director or his/her delegate
- BSc Engineering (e.g. Mechanical, Mechatronics, Systems, Aerospace, Automotive)
- MSc Engineering desired (e.g. Mechanical, Electrical, Systems, Management)
- Currently possess, or ability to gain a SECRET security clearance
- Working knowledge of C++, MATLAB, and Simulink
- 4 or more years experience in US Defense programs
- Applied working knowledge in the domain of lethality, with a proven track record of product development throughout the entire product lifecycle
- Knowledge of Systems based design and related Standards/Processes including System Modeling (e.g. Rhapsody or Cameo)
- Ability to present technical solutions to clients and internal stakeholders.
- Familiarity with the US DoD ground vehicle requirements
- Knowledge of the US DoD process and procedures for vehicle development and acquisition.
- Familiarity with the US Army TACOM / TARDEC organizations
- Practical ‘hands on’ attitude with the ability to operate independently.
- Detailed knowledge of mechanical, electronic, electrical engineering and vehicle principles.
- Detailed knowledge of Military Standards and regulations.
- Wide range of experience in Weapon and Ammunition development, manufacturing, testing desired
- Experience of working in a multi-national, multi-organizational and corporate environment.
- Experience with engineering and supply chain management in a highly regulated industry.
- Ability to speak German desired
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Communication: Must be able to communicate effectively in a variety of settings and be able to assimilate complex instructions easily. Ability to communicate with all levels of management and staff to establish productive relationships. Superior consultation, diplomacy, influencing and negotiating skills is required. Must possess the ability to explain complex concepts in a way that makes sense to someone less knowledgeable about the topic.
- Strategic Thinking and Decisive Judgment: Must demonstrate an enthusiasm to engage with and support overseas colleagues to ensure all staff have the information and opportunity to perform to the best of their abilities.
- Teamwork: Must promote collaboration and facilitate teamwork across the organization and its external service providers. Must be tactful, diplomatic, and work with integrity, honesty, and respect for others.
- Customer Oriented: Must display exceptional listening and analytical skills in order to understand customer concerns and needs with the ability to respond promptly and effectively to those needs.
- Leadership: Shall support and encourage performance by motivating individuals and teams to achieve high performance. Will clarify and define the goals and strategies of the organization and successfully communicate this to all. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are required to work effectively with the US team, suppliers, customer, and corporate parent staff.
- Drive for Results: High level of self-motivation and standards with the ability to multi-task; balancing “analysis” with “doing”. Must be adaptable and able to prioritize and work under pressure to meet deadlines. Work on own initiative.
- US Project Team
- Internal Engineering and Management
- Engineering Director
- Vehicle System Division Purchase and Project Management Team and broader Corporate Team as required
- PEO GCS, NGCV CFT, US Program Team(s), US Army TACOM, US Army TARDEC
- Third party contractors and suppliers
- Commercial partners
- Validation / Qualification test facilities
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds occasionally
- Ability to stand for long periods
About STS Technical Services:
STS Technical Services is a Top 100 Staffing Firm that’s partnered with some of the largest names in the aerospace, manufacturing, defense and industrial industries.
Our professional recruitment teams put talented individuals to work at client locations all over the world, and we have hundreds of exciting career opportunities for you to explore!
If you want to speak to a Recruiting Professional directly, call 1-800-359-4787.
STS Technical Services is an equal opportunity employer.