Sr. Controls Engineers
Sr. Controls EngineersSTS Technincal Services
Website STS Technical Services
STS Technical Services is hiring Sr. Controls Engineers in Ixonia, Wisconsin.
Summary of Role:
Our client located in the suburbs of Oconomowoc are adding to their team a Direct Hired Senior Controls Engineer. As a Senior Controls Engineer you will design electrical control systems for all client systems and process equipment meeting safety standards, project deadlines and project cost constraints to meet or exceed customer’s needs.
- Mentor, coach and provide continuous training to aid in the development and success of the department employees as instructed.
- Review, interpret and document customer specifications, sales agreements, and other project related information prior to the “kick-off” meeting with the project team.
- Attend the “kick-off” meeting with the project team to discuss project requirements highlighting critical design features, high risk areas, and/or areas of concern. Generate list of questions and/or missing information required to complete the design and manufacturing of the equipment.
- Attend “progress” meetings, including “kick-off” meeting, with manufacturing personnel prior to the start of interconnect wiring and “post job review” meeting with the project team after commissioning of the equipment.
- Responsible for information flow on projects, not necessarily performing all related tasks but delegating those tasks and ensuring completion of tasks.
- Manage the gathering of missing information from customer, vendors, etc., and document responses.
- Provide all aspects of the equipment electrical design including necessary calculations, advance orders of long lead components, ladder logic electrical schematics, control panel layouts with complete bills of material, software design for PLC’s, software design for HMI’s using sound practical engineering principles and safety standard, while meeting project deadlines, estimated engineering hours and estimated equipment cost constraints.
- Support Quality Assurance personnel and assist in the testing of equipment prior to customer buy-offs, including trouble shooting of PLC and HMI software programs where applicable to ensure safe and proper equipment operation.
- Support Quality Assurance and/or sales personnel on customer buy-offs of equipment, as necessary.
- Assign design tasks and oversee lower level engineers. Provide direction to and assist in training of lower level engineering hires.
- If required, travel to jobsite to support service personnel to resolve technical issues in the field.
- Develop working relationships with manufacturing department to address and resolve issues to produce the highest quality products at the lowest possible cost.
- Act as technical resource for Sales, Applications, Manufacturing, Quality Assurance and Field Service assisting in addressing and resolving questions and issues.
- Participate on cross-functional teams to address and resolve manufacturing, design and quality problems and ensure the continuous, on-going improvement of processes and methods.
- Review designs of lower level engineers to ensure design meets or exceeds customer needs while staying consistent with Company’s engineering standard practices.
- Participate in the interviewing process for all potential new hires and provide input in making final candidate selections.
- May be required to schedule, prepare, and carry out the annual coaching process for new engineers and assist lower level engineers with this process to manage their training and development. Ensure employees are performing up to maximum potential and that goals are set appropriately for individual success.
- Assist in documenting training procedures for new engineers and developing metrics to gauge their progress.
- Provide written sequence of operation and technical support in creating instruction manuals.
- Manage and assist in maintaining the electrical estimating workbook.
- Compile input from upper level engineers, Sales, Manufacturing, and vendors and use this information to work with lower level engineers to write and maintain engineering design standards. This includes standard engineering drawings, standard software designs for PLC’s and HMI’s and standard engineering practices for oven design and vendor design data.
- Assist upper level engineers in determining engineering resource requirements to maintain budgeted business levels.
- Keep informed of new parts or methods to improve products or product designs.
- Remain technically competent and keep current in new developments within the industry.
- Responsible for facility cleanliness and maintain departmental housekeeping standards.
- Follow, comply, and enforce all safety and work related rules, regulations and policies. Make recommendations regarding safe working methods.
- Promptly respond to inquiries to support individual, team and company success.
- Provide back-up for other positions in the department as assigned. Perform various duties as requested by management.
Essential Job Requirements:
- Physical Requirements: Must be capable of long durations of sitting or standing while working. Ability to see colors is recommended but not required.
- Driving & Travel Requirements: Must maintain a valid state driver’s license, have access to reliable transportation and carry the state minimum required auto insurance. Must be able to travel occasionally. Willing to travel for sales technical support and trade shows. Must maintain an up-to-date passport.
- Customer Service and Communication: Must maintain confidentiality and use discretion with business and employee information. Must maintain an approachable demeaner at all times. Focus on clear, concise communication to clients, vendors, and peers. Professional, positive, and timely communication, both verbally and in writing is crucial to this role.
- Focus and Direction: Accepting of interruptions and able to refocus and stay on task. Must be able to take direction as well as instill a proactive, self-directed approach to ensure daily requirements are fulfilled and projects are completed in an efficient and timely manner. Must be able to handle multiple tasks at the same time, know how to prioritize in order of importance and meet overlapping deadlines without substituting quality or accuracy.
- Analytical Aptitude: The ability to read, analyze and interpret complex documents such as customer and industry specifications, professional codes and standards, engineering drawings policy manuals, safety rules and regulations, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively add notes and other pertinent information on drawings for customer approvals and manufacturing.
- Technology: Proficient with basic software and smartphone technology including email, internet, and calendaring applications and able to functionally use emerging technologies to support business needs. Proficient with MS Office applications such as Word and have advanced knowledge of Excel. Proficient with AutoCAD electrical and PLC and HMI software languages.
- Hours and Work Environment: Individual must meet or exceed job requirements and company expectations. Must be able to work a minimum of 40 hours per week. Occasionally may work a flexible work schedule based on customer needs. Able to work additional hours as required to meet deadlines.
Qualifications You’ll Need:
- Ability to mentor, coach, train and develop staff members with patience and understanding, providing clear and concise direction to assure successful learning and growth.
- Must have the ability to read, analyze and interpret documents such as project and customer specifications, professional codes and standards and engineering drawings. Solid understanding of industrial controls and electrical schematics.
- Ability to provide direction and delegate effectively. Ability to independently resolve issues/problems with good judgment.
- Ability to assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks and make clear, timely decisions that are in the best interest of the department and the organization. Possess the ability to see an issue or situation from different points of view.
- Ability to listen attentively, ask questions ensuring clear expectations, follow directions and provide prompt continuous follow-up.
- Highly motivated with a strong work ethic and the ability to prioritize and accomplish tasks with minimal supervision.
- Ability to build relationships, good rapport and instill confidence. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with many personality types and adapt to varying environments, tasks, people and change in general.
- Punctual, highly organized, self-motivated, self-directed, confident self-starter willing to accept responsibility for results. Must be committed to excellence, accuracy in work and attention to details. Sets high goals and standards for self and others.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering and a minimum of 5 years of related experience or a minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible related experience or a combination of education and experience.
- Full benefit package available.
About STS Technical Services:
STS Technical Services is a Top 100 Staffing Firm that’s partnered with some of the largest names in the aerospace, manufacturing, defense and industrial industries.
Our professional recruitment teams put talented individuals to work at client locations all over the world, and we have hundreds of exciting career opportunities for you to explore!
If you want to speak to a Recruiting Professional directly, call 1-800-359-4787.
STS Technical Services is an equal opportunity employer.